JETAA Chicago is holding its annual officer elections this October. Voting will take place online from Thursday, October 1 – Monday, October 5 at 5:00 PM. A special email with voting instructions and a link to the poll will be sent at that time.
Interested in running? All positions are up for grabs and detailed descriptions are below. Whether you’re new to JETAA or have been around for many years, we’d love for you to throw your hat in the ring! Serving on the JETAA Chicago Board is a wonderful way to gain professional experience and develop the future of our chapter.
Candidates must submit their name; JET years and placement; a short statement of interest for the position and any goals; and a photo to email@example.com by Wednesday, September 30. Newly elected officers will begin their terms in November and serve for one year.
Now is an exciting time to get involved with JETAA as we begin to pursue non-profit status, lead the way in Outgoing JET initiatives, and continue to provide for the JETAA and Japanese community in the Midwest. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
• Strategize ways to further the goals and mission of the organization
• Preside at all meetings
• Prepare meeting agenda
• Supervise officers & agents
• Liaise with community members and organizations
• Speak at public functions
• Execute final authority over budget related activities or events
• Preside in absence of the president
• Assist President in forwarding the goals of the organization
• Act as internal point of contact related to all activities and events for officers or members
• Maintain Google events calendar
• Fulfill necessary responsibilities in the event of a vacant board position
• Manage efforts of the Activities and Outreach Coordinators
• Prepare and distribute executive board meeting minutes
• Submit monthly post-reports to the Consulate
• Write and mail monthly web-letter
• Solicit officers, member and community for contributions to the monthly webletter
• Send special e-announcements to members when necessary
• Record event attendance in Events Google doc
• Arrange for cross-promotion of events/activities between relevant businesses and organizations
• Update Webmaster and Marketing Coordinator on relevant activities for promotion on website and social media
Treasurer – please note that Senior Treasurer is a 2 year role and not up for election this time around.
• If interested in the Deputy Treasurer position, please contact Steven Sundstrom at email@example.com.
• Create promotional materials for all events
• Design images for online outreach
• Make event specific logos
• Create brand images for use on the website
• Support promotion of all events and community activities
• Create Facebook events for all JETAA activities
• Manage all social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In
• Support or delegate annual sporting events and/or league memberships
• Plan quarterly nihongo dake events
• Manage educational activities including Japanese language programming, cultural events, and academic activities.
• Support the annual Shinnenkai, a book club, JLPT study groups, etc.
• Plan and execute annual career development workshop; manage subcommittee
• Organize networking events for recent returnee JETs
• Arrange quarterly networking meet-ups
• Support all philanthropic and volunteer activities and events
• Encourage participation by new and general members of the community
• Plan and execute 3-5 Outgoing JET Initiative activities and events
• Plan and execute at least one fundraising event per year; manage subcommittee
• Liaise with community organizations and local businesses
• Identify philanthropic organizations that JETAA community would be interested in supporting
• Work with Treasurer to arrange all monetary transactions
• Maintain organization website with news, officer information, and event information
• Add resources to the website regarding the JET Program, information for outgoing JETs, and life in Chicago
• Maintain Google calendar
• Create event registration pages
• Manage Google site to ensure all communications, templates, and historical information are properly stored
• Revise online communications templates as needed
• Maintain member database and contact information
• The Webmaster position need not be a JET alumnus/a